A McDonald's outlet in Hubei province. (Photo/Xinhua)
A McDonald's outlet in Shenyang in northeastern China has apologized after a customer drank detergent that was left out on the counter in a Coca-Cola cup. The woman experienced a burning sensation in her esophagus and stomach after drinking a Coke her boyfriend bought and was admitted to hospital, reports the Chinese-language Beijing News.
"This has caused great harm to me and my girlfriend. My girlfriend is still receiving treatment in hospital," said Mr Liu, who ordered meals to go at the restaurant on Jan. 16.
When his girlfriend subsequently became ill after consuming the beverage, Liu went back to the restaurant to ask questions. A counter clerk admitted putting the cup on the counter but did not offer a further explanation. Liu took his girlfriend to hospital, where a doctor determined the woman had erosive gastritis and sought to know what she had drunk from the restaurant.
The outlet later admitted that detergent which had been placed in the cup by an employee was to blame. The staff member had set the detergent in a paper Coke cup on the counter, which was then taken by Liu, who mistakenly believed it to be his order.
The restaurant has apologized for the mistake and says it will offer compensation, though the amount has yet to be agreed. Liu says he wants the restaurant to agree to take responsibility if his girlfriend experiences health problems in the next few years related to the incident.
Jiang Yikang is the party chief of Shandong province. A native of Zhaoyuan in Shandong, he was born in 1953, entered the workforce in 1969, and joined the CPC in 1970. Jiang graduated from ...